When we set out to accomplish our goals there are so many things both internal and external that may stand in our way of achieving them. From my observation, the presence of the following six things in your life can expedite this journey.
- Reality check – a friend of mine recently received her pension forecast and that gave her the push to step out and start the business she conceived many years ago. We need to get to a point when you realise things would not change if you carry on with business as normal. Would you be happy with your current state ten, twenty, fifty years from now? If no, it is time to change directions as your actions today shape your outcome tomorrow
- Good friends – you cannot underestimate the power of good friends who have your interest at heart, who tell you as it is, who encourage you to become the best you and stand by you in your low times. Spend time with people who motivate you to spread your wings and fly at the set time. Avoid hanging out with people who are going no where, surround yourself with people who are heading in the same direction as you and have already attained what you are working towards
- Self discipline – I hear people comment every now and again I wish each day had more than 24 hours. Even if it did, we would still need more time. The key is learning to manage and maximise the time you have. It is a great idea to assess how you currently spend your time; where time is being wasted, how much time is required daily, weekly and monthly to allocate to your goals, set the time aside for this. Guard this time jealously as many things would seek to interrupt you but you must be determined to keep your focus.
- You have what you need – there are many times I have stopped myself from going forward due to a lack of resources. I have grown to understand that conditions don’t need to be perfect; I have learnt the art of improvisation, using what I have personally and around me (i.e. social capital) to get what I want. Start small and grow your concept.
- Relevant knowledge – things are much easier when you possess the appropriate knowledge in the areas you are embarking upon. Acquiring knowledge is a continuous process. Being a learner for life is the key to greatness.
- Great advice – I love the saying that there is nothing new under the sun, in essence someone somewhere has an understanding of where you are going and what it takes to get there. Listen and learn from others and then proceed by applying innovative principles to your idea(s).
So there is nothing to stop you from getting what you want. Would you stop yourself?
Awake Coaching provides a personal and professional telephone coaching service for women worldwide who have recognised the need to change a situation from what it is to what they want it to be. For more information contact the Ladies Club; email@example.com